Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Can I explain the map of the US?

I work in customer service for an internet based company. I take calls all day and help people get their orders straightened out. It seems to be little more than internet babysitting at some times. America is full of procrastinators. I understand in a way. I'm a procrastinator by nature. I don't, however, think that I can order something on Wednesday and have it be shipped half way across the country by Friday without paying out the nose for it. I sometimes wonder if these people have even seen a map. Seriously. Have they seen a gas prices lately? How do you think it won't cost some serious cash? More than likely it will have to be flown to you. Yes, we can get it to you, but we can't do it for free. Let me give you the gift of a map.











Most people are nice and friendly. They want to talk to you and probably are happy that when they call the company that they get an actual human. No buttons to push, no playing the game of please hold and listen to our elevator music while we sit and file our fingernails. That is one big plus. We get to hear about their lives, their parties, their celebrations. I've also taken a few calls that were for sympathy gifts. These tear at your heart. I've been told that you will get to a point where it doesn't affect you and you can leave it at the office. I'm not so sure. I don't know that I'll ever get to a point where someone tells me about a loss that doesn't make me sad for them.


And one more tip before I log off for the night. If you are going to have music on your cell phone for people to listen to as they wait for you to answer, make sure it is not comprised of the words bitches, hos, and fuck. Thanks. :)

1 comment:

Sam said...

I can so relate to this post lol having worked in customer service for an online company for several years, anoither thing that always seems to confuse them was time zones!